What to bring from your home that might be useful ?
Imagine having to pack all your life in two suitcases (you'll soon have to). It's a mess, you have to make life or death decisions and you're very likely to forget some important stuff and bring things that you'll never use.
In order for that to not happen, I thought that making a list of things that I noticed were really important could help you making your decisions on what to bring.
- Pictures / things that you will decorate your room with on the first day, so that it feels more like home
- Flip flop, boots (for winter and the rain), sneakers
- T-shirts & sweatshirts
- Jeans & pants, maybe shorts if you stay during summer because it can get quite hot
- Basically the clothes that you know you will wear without hesitating, no need to overpack your suitcase with clothes you won't even wear once + it's an excuse to do shopping (there's a lot a good second hand stores in Paris)
- Formal attire (one is enough)
- !!! First aid kit !!!
- Coats & jackets, it gets super cold here sometime
- All your cables & chargers
- Hygiene stuff (toothbrush, razor, brush, etc.)
- Sweatpants & sleepwear
- Socks & underwear
- Sneakers & running shoes
- Workout clothes
- Everyday purse & backpack
Also, if you've never done any laundry before, it could be nice if you learned quickly how to wash whites, colors, at which temperature (you don't want to ruin your white shirt by washing it with a red sock).
As you'll have a trip planned during your integration weeks in order to buy all the essentials you might need, here is some advice on what to buy that day
What to buy on your arrival :
- Cutlery/utensils and plates
- Pans & saucepans
- Cutting boards
- Toilet paper
- Cleaning supplies
- ! Kettle !
- FOOD !
- Towels if you didn't bring one
- Trash bags
- Bedsheets if you didn't take the pack
- Things to organise your room / create more room
- Shampoo & conditioner
- Hair brush
- Poster putty
- ! Can & bottle opener !
Also make sure to speak with your roommates on who buys what and deciding your organization in general (which you can always change later, but the sooner the better).